During my WIAW post, I teased you with a few pictures of taco lasagna.
So now it’s probably time to share the recipe … don’t ya think?
I’ve made this recipe many times in the past few years. It’s very easy, delicious, and feeds an extremely hungry husband!
Adapted from allrecipes.com recipe.
Serves “12” (or 8, if you and your husband can eat as much as we can!)
- 2 lbs lean ground beef (ground turkey or chicken could easily be substituted … but my husband wouldn’t go for it!)
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 (1.25 oz) packages taco seasoning mix (I use low sodium)
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 15-18 small flour tortillas (Recipe calls for 18, but you could easily cut the number down. Original recipe also calls for corn tortillas, but I prefer flour.)
- 24 oz. salsa
- 16 oz. light sour cream
- 3-4 cups of shredded cheese – blend of Cheddar and Monterey Jack (use as much or as little as you want!)
- Brown your meat in a big skillet. In the meantime, preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Drain your meat.
- Put the meat back in the skillet over medium-low heat. Add water, taco seasoning, chili powder, and garlic.
- Simmer for about 10 minutes (or 5, if you are impatient like me! ).
- Spray 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Place 5-6 tortillas in the bottom of the dish.
- Add 1/3 of the salsa on top of the tortillas and spread evenly.
- Add 1/2 of the meat mixture and spread.
- Add 1/2 of the sour cream and spread.
- Add about 1/3 of the cheese.
- Repeat layers … 5-6 tortillas, then 1/3 of the salsa, 1/2 of the meat, 1/2 of the sour cream, and 1/3 of the cheese.
- Top with remaining tortillas. Spread the remaining salsa over the tortillas, and top with the rest of the cheese.
- Place in the oven for about 30 minutes, or until cheese is all melted.
This is definitely a favorite in our house. It has huge flavor without having too much spice.
It may not look super pretty …
… but who cares about how it looks when it tastes SO good??
And my favorite recipes always make leftovers.
This was lunch and dinner for both of us the next day … plus one more lunch on top of that!
You need to try this. I know you’ll be a satisfied customer.
Question for ya …
Do you like Mexican food? What are some of your favorite Mexican dishes?
Other than this taco lasagna, I also really like chicken fajitas. Yum!