First of all, I just wanted to thank you for your amazing comments on Monday’s post. It was incredible to see how many of you experienced some of the same emotions that I did after childbirth! I so appreciate your honesty and transparency! Y’all are the best!
Today’s WIAW is going to be mostly picture-less. It’s hard for me to remember to whip out my camera these days! But I know you all have great imaginations. So just visualize me eating my meals with my hair in a ponytail, wearing PJ pants and a t-shirt, while trying to keep a quick-moving baby from chewing on my iPad. OK?
Breakfast: A toasted cinnamon-raisin English muffin covered with peanut butter.
Morning snack: A pumpkin pie flavored yogurt (from Yoplait). Yum!
Lunch: A roasted sweet potato topped with peanut butter (don’t knock it until you try it!) and a big salad with Caesar dressing.
Afternoon snack #1: A big iced coffee with milk + a Dove milk chocolate square.
Afternoon snack #2: An apple with peanut butter (wow … this was a peanut butter-heavy day!)
Dinner: Sweet and spicy chicken, served over brown rice with broccoli. Recipe below!
After dinner treat: A glass of red wine + more chocolate!
Clearly, I’m going through a chicken phase right now. I’m pretty sure this is the fourth recipe in a row that involves chicken.
This recipe reminded me a lot of Chinese take-out … only fresher and healthier.
Sweet and Spicy Chicken
(Modified from this recipe)
Makes about 4 servings
- 2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar
- 4 tbsp. honey
- ½ cup soy sauce (low sodium)
- 1.5 tsp. ground ginger
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tbsp. hot sauce
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- brown rice, for serving
- broccoli, for serving (optional)
- Season the chicken pieces with salt and pepper. Put them all in a Ziplock bag and add flour. Seal the bag and toss it to coat the pieces with flour.
- Mix together the brown sugar, honey, soy sauce, ginger, garlic and hot sauce in a bowl.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken pieces and cook for a few minutes, until all the pieces are cooked through.
- Put the chicken in a bowl. Return the skillet to the burner set to medium heat.
- Add all of the sauce ingredients to the skillet. Simmer uncovered until the sauce thickens, stirring frequently.
- In the meantime, made your rice in another pot (per the package instructions). I like to add my broccoli to the rice pan for the last couple of minutes of cooking, so that the broccoli gets just barely cooked. You could also cook the broccoli separately in the microwave.
- Once your sauce thickens in the skillet, add the chicken back in and stir everything together. Simmer for another couple of minutes on medium-low heat, just until the chicken warms back up.
- Serve the chicken mixture over the rice and enjoy!
The sauce in this recipe initially seemed a little too spicy for me, but when you combine it with the chicken and rice, everything balances really well. It was a big hit at our house. Hope it’s a success in yours, as well!
Question for ya …
Best thing you’ve eaten this week?
Have any new chicken recipes you want to share with me? Link up!