Brandon and I went to Costa Rica on our honeymoon. When we arrived to our hotel on the first evening, we were starving. We quickly looked over the menu at the hotel’s restaurant and picked something that sounded delicious to both of us … a BBQ chicken flatbread.
(At the restaurant the first night of our honeymoon.)
The BBQ chicken flatbread did not disappoint. In fact, we returned to that restaurant later in the week just for a repeat of our first night meal.
So recently, I decided to recreate that honeymoon memory. But I did it in pizza-form.
Want to know why I like making pizzas?
Because you can throw out the measuring spoons and cups and just eye-ball everything.
It’s all about your own personal taste … that takes the stress out of the cooking process.
For this recipe, I made things pretty easy on myself.
I used a dough mix and precooked chicken. Judge if you want, but it was delicious.
I had never used the Martha White crust before. I have to say that it was pretty good. The edges got just a little too crunchy, but other than that, we both really liked it. My only complaint is that it makes a fairly small pizza. If you’re going to make this for more than two people, you need to buy two packages of that dough!
BBQ Chicken Pizza
(note: other than the oil for the dough, these measurements are all approximations … add more or less depending on your taste!)
- Martha White pizza dough mix
- 1 tsp oil for the dough
- 3/4 cup chopped precooked chicken
- 1/4 cup BBQ sauce + 1 tbsp BBQ sauce
- 1/4 cup marinara sauce
- 1 tbsp roughly chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup Mexican cheese (or just Cheddar)
- Sprinkle of Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees.
- Prepare the dough according to the directions on the package.
One note … if you use a pizza pan with holes on the bottom like I did, don’t put the pan on top of your burners while you’re spreading out the dough. Unless you want your burners to end up looking like this:
(Yeah … that’s no fun to clean.)
- Bake dough for 5 minutes.
- In the meantime, chop your onion and cilantro.
- Mix chopped chicken with 1 tbsp BBQ sauce.
- In another bowl, mix 1/4 cup BBQ sauce and 1/4 cup marinara sauce.
- When the dough comes out of the oven, spread on the BBQ/marinara mixture.
- Next, add your red onion and chicken.
- Then add all of your cheese.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, until crust is lightly browned and cheese is melted.
- After the pizza comes out of the oven, add your cilantro.
This pizza is awesome. The combination of BBQ sauce, red onion and cilantro creates a huge burst of flavor in your mouth.
I hope you enjoy it as much as we did … both on our honeymoon and now!
Question for ya …
Do you make any foods that bring back special memories?
What unusual pizza toppings do you like?