I’m not always a fan of “lighter” dishes because sometimes “light” = no flavor.
But as I’ve said on many an occasion, I trust Martha (Stewart, that is). So when I found this recipe online, I went for it.
A “Lighter” General Tso’s Chicken
Modified from this recipe.
- 4 servings brown rice
- 2 tbsp, then 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 pound snow peas, trimmed and cut in half crosswise
- 2.5 tsp minced garlic
- 2-3 teaspoons fresh grated ginger (depending on how much you like ginger!)
- 5 tablespoons light-brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
- 2 large egg whites
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil